Here is how to disable ChatGPT Chat history and clear Old conversations. If you want to have a clear chat history in ChatGPT, then this is the process to follow.
ChatGPT has made the internet go crazy as it comes with some of the best features any AI chatbot can provide. Most of you might be using ChatGPT every day or might have used it once. Using ChatGPT is like chatting to a person as the responses are pretty accurate and the replies are like a human. One thing to know here is that all the chats and searches that you do on ChatGPT are recorded and the Large Language Model (LLM) keeps leaning from each question or chats that you share with the AI chatbot.
Keeping this in mind, if you want to remove all the chat history and conversations that you have done till now will ChatGPT, here are a few steps to follow.
How to delete old conversations in ChatGPT
By following the steps below, you can clear the old conversations and chats with ChatGPT.
- Go to ChatGPT home page.
- Login as a user with Google, Microsoft or Email ID.
- Once logged in you will be taken to the home page of ChatGPT.
- Here you will be able to see all the previous conversations that have been done.
- To delete old conversations in ChatGPT, click on the profile image shown in the bottom left corner of the window.
- Once you click on the profile picture, a menu will appear shows various options related to your previous chats.
- Click on the “Clear Conversation” button shown in the menu.
- The button text will change to “Confirm clear conversation”.
- Click on the same button again and all your previous conversations will be cleared.
- This can be verified by the side panel content.
Note that once you have cleared the conversations, you may not be able to access the old conversations.
Also Read: How to Transfer your WhatsApp chats without Google Drive
How to Disable ChatGPT chat history
If you don’t want your conversations to be stored in ChatGPT, you can always disable it. This will stop recording your conversations. One thing to keep in mind is that once you close the ChatGPT window, all the recent conversations will be deleted and cannot be accessed again. Following are the steps to disable chat history in ChatGPT easily.
- Login to ChatGPT.
- Click on the profile picture shown in the bottom left corner of the window.
- Now a menu will appear that will show a settings button.
- Click on the Settings button.
- A settings popover will appear. There will be an option on the popover “Data Control” with a “Show” button on the right side.
- Click on the “Show” button and new options will appear.
- With the “Chat History & Training option”, there will be a switch.
- Flip the switch to OFF and you are done.
Now, your conversation won’t be recorded in ChatGPT.
Also Read: Google Bard can now help you write code like ChatGPT
How to delete ChatGPT account?
Deleting a ChatGPT account will remove all the data and conversation that you have used in ChatGPT. The process of deleting an account is easy. Follow the steps below.
- Login to ChatGPT.
- In the ChatGPT home page, click on the Profile image.
- Now click on “Settings” button.
- In the resulting popover, click on the “Show” button in the Data Control section.
- Now you will see some options at the bottom of the popover saying, “Export data” and “Delete Account”.
- Click on the “Delete Account” button.
- You will be asked for a confirmation. Once you complete it, your account will be deleted.
Things to note before deleting a ChatGPT account
- Once the account is deleted, all the contents will be removed, and it can’t be undone.
- Profile, Conversation and API keys will be removed.
- ChatGPT API access that you have created will be deleted.
- You cannot use the same phone number and email to sign up again in ChatGPT.
One thing that you can do before deleting and clearing your data in ChatGPT is to export it.
How to export account details and conversations in ChatGPT?
By exporting data, all your account details and conversations that you have done will remain safe, and you can use it any time. Follow the steps below to export your data from ChatGPT.
- In the ChatGPT home page, click on the profile picture.
- Go to settings.
- Click on the “Show” button with the “Data Control” option.
- In the bottom of that popover, you will see an “Export” button.
- Click on it. A popover will appear, showing more details on your export.
Once you export the data, all of it will be sent to you via email as a downloadable file.
FAQ on deleting ChatGPT data
Following are some of the common questions on the internet related to ChatGPT.
Should the chat history in ChatGPT be disabled?
It is a personal preference but if you want to keep your chat not being stored anywhere the disabling the chat history will be the right option to do. Even if you keep the chat history ON, all the data will be deleted after 30 days from the server.
Will I be able to recover my old chats with chat history turned off in ChatGPT?
The answer to this is no. Once you turn OFF the chat history, your chats will be removed once you close the ChatGPT window.