Here is how to share Mac Keyboard and Mouse with iPad so that you can use Mac and iPad as separate devices for work. This feature is also known as “Universal Control“.
If you are a Mac user and are planning to buy an iPad, then this feature included with the recent version of iPadOS and macOS will be very useful. Apple had added universal control to the iPad and Mac to share the keyboard and mouse without manually switching devices. In this post, we will see the process to do it.
What is the use of sharing Mac keyboard and mouse with iPad?
People who travel a lot and need multiple screen usually carry an iPad with them and a MacBook. If you have an iPad from 2017 or later, then it can be used as a second monitor with the Sidecar feature.
Even if you do not want to use iPad as second monitor and use it as an additional device, there is a feature to share the keyboard and trackpad of your MacBook to an iPad.
Also Read: How to schedule an email in Gmail
By doing this, you can type and navigate through the iPadOS and macOS together. Large size iPads like the 12.9 inch models come with a dedicated magic keyboard case which you can attach and use as a keyboard.
They also have a trackpad built in. Having it is good, but they are a bit on the costlier end so if you have the money to buy it then no need to share the keyboard and mouse, else you can use your iPad as another device with this feature.
Advantages of sharing keyboard and mouse or trackpad
- Easy to set up and use
- Smooth switch from one device to another
- Both being device from Apple have good integration
- No need to carry a separate keyboard and Bluetooth mouse for iPad.
- You may not need to spend extra money for the magic keyboard case for iPad.
How to share Mac keyboard and mouse with iPad
The process to do it is simple as there is no need to download any separate app for this. All the options are integrated in macOS. Follow the steps below.
- Unlock your Mac and iPad.
- Make sure they are connected to the same Wi-Fi network and Bluetooth is ON in both devices.
- Also, make sure both iPad and Mac are connected with same iCloud account.
- In Mac, click on the settings app from the dock.
- In the settings window, click on “Display” from the side panel.
- Here you will see all the display settings of your Mac.
- In the display settings page, scroll down and find “Advanced” button.
- Click on “Advanced” button and you will be seeing additional display options.
- In this window, there are options to enable sharing of keyboard and mouse pointer to iPad.
- Flip the switch ON, and now you will be able to share the keyboard and mouse to an iPad nearby.
- Click on done button.
- To do it, you need to move the pointer to left or right direction of the screen and try.
Note that, this feature is turned ON by default in iPad, so you do not need to change any settings there.
Also Read: Best Portable Monitor in India, 2023
By sharing the keyboard, you can do multitasking in a better way. iPad is a tool that people use for entertainment and also work purpose, with a feature like universal control, iPad will become more useful.
If you have an iPad, you should surely try this as in my personal experience, it is a feature that is worth it.