How to turn on disappearing message in WhatsApp
Disappearing message is one of the newest feature in WhatsApp, and it is added specifically to improve the privacy levels of your chats. There are many advantages of using this features and this post will explain you about all the things that you should remember while using this feature.
This feature helps you to make your chats that you have sent to a specific person or group to be removed after a certain amount of time. Time duration that you can set rages from 24 hours, 7 days and 90 days.
The receiver of the message can keep the message, which will stop the message from disappearing for that specific user.
This feature gets applicable to messages sent after enabling it, and old messages will remain unchanged. You can turn this feature ON/OFF for specific chats or all chats in your WhatsApp account. When it comes to group messages, group admin can decide who can use this feature for that specific group and enable it only to admins of the group.
Also Read: Glucomate app will help you control diabetes
This to remember while using disappearing message in WhatsApp
- If a disappearing message is forwarded to another person who has not enabled this feature, the message will not disappear.
- Backup will retain the disappearing message even after the duration has passed. It will only be removed when user restores from backup
- Disappearing messages will be removed even if the user does not open WhatsApp within the time.
- Quoted text will remain even after the disappearing message is removed.
- In specific countries, this features is not available for payment related transactions.
- Media messages will be automatically downloaded before the disappearing duration if auto download is enabled.
Also Read: Here is how to pin and unpin direct messages on Twitter
How to keep messages before disappearing in WhatsApp
To keep a message from disappearing, you need to keep the message. Follow these steps to keep the message so that they do not get removed.
- Open your WhatsApp.
- Go to the chat you want to keep.
- Long press on specific chat.
- You will see a menu.
- Click on the “Star” button in the menu.
Now your message will be kept even after the disappearing message time is completed.
Also Read: How to enable low data mode on macOS
How to turn on disappearing message in WhatsApp?
Follow the steps below to turn on disappearing messages in WhatsApp.
- Unlock your phone and open WhatsApp.
- Click on Settings button in the bottom bar.
- Click on “Privacy” button from the list.
- You will be shown with all privacy settings in WhatsApp.
- Scroll down and find Disappearing message section.
- Click on the Disappearing message timer button, you will see various options related to disappearing messages.
- Select the appropriate option from the list shown, 24 hours, 7 Days or 90 days.
- This option can be completely turned off as well by selecting Off.
Enabling disappearing message for a contact
To enabled disappearing message for a chat or contact, follow the steps below.
- Open WhatsApp.
- Select and open a specific conversation
- Click on the Profile name at the top of the chat.
- You will see all the contact details of that user.
- Now scroll down and find disappearing messages option.
- Click on Disappearing message and select the time option that you need for that specific contact.
Follow the same process to enable or disable disappearing message in group chat as well.
Disappearing chat feature may come really handy for people who want the best privacy for their chats in WhatsApp. Also, people who share phones with others also feel this feature to be handy.
One thing you should keep in mind that the chats may get lost if you enable this feature. So think before enabling it, or keep a backup always.
Thanks for reading.
Also Read: Google Bard can now help you write code like ChatGPT